In the Seventies and Eighties when thousands of Peace Corps, VSO and other types of volunteers were working in the developing world, their individual and collective attention to the challenges facing Third World communities sparked an explosion of ingenious inventions that became known as Appropriate Tech. Intended "to increase the standard of living for the developing world without condescension, complication, or environmental damage,".AT has not exactly burgeoned since then, but the field has survived and continues to devise technologies that not only make sense for traditional village societies, but can intelligently serve modern sustainable communities as well.
The following is a short list of contemporary resources in the field, which continues to benefit countless lives and deserves far more attention and support. - Ed.
- 10 Cases of Appropriate Technology
- Appropriate Technology Collaborative
- Appropriate Technology magazine
- Appropriate Technology Sourcebook
- Appropriate Technology Wiki Portal
- Basics of Agricultural Development